Thursday, April 10, 2014

April is.. Autism Awareness...

Each April I want to do something for Autism Awareness.  Nothing big.. mainly because I cannot obligate time,  I am never sure just how much I will have.  This year.. I asked some of my friends over in our FB group Mixing Up Everyday to join me by filling news feed on FB on April 2, Light It Up Blue , International Autism Awareness Day, with post.  Not ONLY did they create Lovely MIXED MEDIA pages, some of them also changed their profile pictures in support!  I am so grateful for my family and friends!  They allow me to be me and bring Brook along my artistic journey!  Very thankful for that!  This is my autism awareness page...




 I am home everyday and I have a daughter with autism.  She is now 9 years old.  She has many delays and things I even consider as acts of stubbornisms (yeah, not a word.. but it is today.. and as long as you know what I mean.. it's now a word!  LOL)  Anywho.. back to her.  Dealing with her is more than a handful at times, so I am glad I am allowed to be home with her, right now.  Not every child with autism is the same, so if you have dealt with one.. you really have.. only dealt with one!  You can't read a book and become an expert on the topic, but you can be enlightened and perhaps even open to the differences that makes us all individuals and remember that they apply  to people with different abilities as well..  You know.. For everything I think of that my daughter cannot do as your average 9 year old, I can think of 5 things that she is interested in or can do that some kids might not even consider.  Our days are not always easy breezy but they are always forever learning.  Sometimes I find myself staring at her and just in awe of the things that she chooses to entertain herself with.  Sometimes she will take over 200 photos in a day.. go back edit them; draw over them and add graphics.. Mind you, NO ONE in my household does this.. she taught herself.  She taught herself on a nintendo dsi.. and on the pc.. She will blend the sound of a Youtube video on one screen and the picture of another video to form another video and record it on another piece of equipment, no one taught her that.. but she loves to do it and finds COMPLETE JOY in it! She watches her programs in four different languages, two I recognize as Spanish and German, she also tries to use sign language..  She is amazing and frustrating and she is loved.. just as she is... Can I better.. I am sure I can.. she is my one and ONLY as I learn more.. I will do more, my priorities are keeping her safe, happy, healthy and productive.

Anyway.. Again as always.. thanks for your time...


No comments:

Post a Comment